Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Custom Trailer Build

I wanted to build a custom trailer that would allow me to park the trailer in the garage with the buggy loaded and still allow for room to park my wife's car beside the trailer. This meant I needed a narrow axle that would put the tires track width no wider than the trailer deck. A snowmobile trailer would have been perfect, but I also had to make sure the buggy would fit under the garage opening so the deck could not sit above the tires. 

 I went with a 2,200lb capacity torsion axle from Northern Tool.




I used 2"x4" square tubing to case the trailer deck and house the LED marker lights and brake lights. 







The Deck dimensions are 7' x 11'. I was able to fit 2 ATVs on this trailer parked sideways for last year's hunting trip. 


I also purchased the tires and wheels as well as Jeep style trailer fenders from Northern Tool. The Jeep style fenders weren't the obvious choice since they were very tall and are designed to bolt to the outside of an enclosed trailer, but the idea was to cut them down to the necessary size and weld them to the deck for strength since the buggy would need to roll over the fenders when loading and unloading. 



I used Gloss Black Rustoleum spray paint for the finish. What a mess! I should know better than painting in the garage by now! 


Overall, I am very pleased with the result! The buggy fits perfectly and the trailer tracks nicely when towed. I have since added a spare tire carrier and an ATV winch to the front of the trailer as can be seen in the last photo. 









No comments:

Post a Comment